Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Life Abundantly


One of my most favourite verses in the Bible is John 10:10 – I have come that you may have life and have it abundantly.

Every time I think of this verse, I can’t help but ask myself, what is abundant life? Is it having a life that has no troubles? Or is it having everything you can ever ask for? What is it???

Over the past few weeks, through all my cribbing (yes I have the ability to bug the life out of God with my constant whining) God taught me what an abundant life I was actually living. He taught me how to honor the work He has so graciously hand-picked me to do. Over the past few weeks, I watched people, who I would’ve imagined would have found their lives meaningless, live life that screams out abundance. I watched a man without hands and feet, live a life that was complete and independent – independent because of his dependence on Christ. I watched a man clinging to Christ knowing his wife would die any day now – she has fourth degree cancer. I watched a man struggle with feelings of guilt and despair, after his brother died, just days after his brother donated part of his liver to save his life.

I saw all these people living such full lives and took a close look at my own. What was I doing? Sulking because I had spots on my face? Because I had too much weight on my body? Because I had no hair? Because I hadn’t achieved anything ‘significant’ in my life? Because I was a 23yr old without many friends and without what I thought was life? Nonsense! My life the way it was, was God given. And God saw all that He had made, and it was good. … and that, changed everything. Physical appearances, circumstances, no longer mattered. I realized that I was happy not because of who/what was around me but because I learnt to tap in to that joy that actually Christ had filled in to my life ages ago. I realized that it didn’t matter that I never once had a relationship, when kids so much younger than me were making life long commitments. The only relationship that mattered was the one I shared with that Person Who shed every single drop of blood for me on the cross of Calvary and if I asked Him now, would do it all over again, without so much as thinking for a fraction of a second. That’s my Man! And I have no qualms declaring it!

This is abundant life – to know for a fact that I’ve been loved beyond measure; enough to have the Son of man die on the cross and live again for me; walking with me through all the sense and the non-sense that I go through everyday.

This is abundant life – that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8: 38-39).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

agree wholeheartedly! With Him there's nothing less than the best!

Unknown said...

Hey hey, thanks girl! :)