Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Life In Abundance

I always heard that women have the gift of endurance. However, when I saw kavya, I felt as if I saw endurance personified.

Ever since I’ve known Kavya, she’s been this very happy-go-lucky girl who would always, and I mean always have a smile on her face. She had been through a lot in life. When we were in college together, she used to work part time so that she could look after her family. Because of financial problems, Kavya was married off at a very young age. As soon as she turned 18, she got married and by 20yrs, she even had a child.

I met Kavya again the other day after 2yrs. She had the same warm smile on her face. It felt nice to see my friend happy and bubbly. It was not until later that I got to know what actually happened to Kavya. After her child was born, her husband died leaving nothing behind for her. Her in-laws asked her to please leave because they couldn’t afford her and her child. So Kavya began to live on her own. She didn’t go back to her parents because she didn’t want to be a burden upon them. Kavya started a baby care center in her home. This way, she could take care of her child and still work.

For any normal human being, this should’ve caused them depression but to kavya, it brought joy. I could never understand how she could be so cheerful even through adversaries. Finally one day I asked her. She gave me a broad smile and said, “The Bible tells me that Jesus has come into this world to give life, and to give it in abundance. Once you know this fact, you can’t help but enjoy life”.

Dear friends, trials and hardships are a part of each one of our lives but Jesus Christ assures us through the Bible that He has come to give life, and to give it in abundance. So let’s learn to enjoy life. Let’s learn to enjoy ourselves in whatever situation we are in. As for our trials and hardships, let’s remember that God will make everything beautiful in His time.

“… I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” – John 10:10

No comments: